- General Browsing Information: Any time you visit the Hawthorne Websites or use our downloadable apps, we may gather certain information by automated means, such as cookies and web beacons. This information includes browser characteristics, your service provider IP address, the search engine you may have used to locate the Hawthorne Websites, a unique device identifier, device characteristics, operating system, language preferences, referring URLs, information on actions taken on the Hawthorne Websites, and dates and times of visits.
- Personal Information Voluntarily Provided: We gather personal information you provide to us (such as your name, address, testimonials, e-mail address, telephone number, demographic information, payment information) when you request information about a product or service, register on the Hawthorne Websites, request email reminders or email newsletters, sign up for a service, enter one of our sweepstakes or contests, take a survey or use any of the other interactive portions or features of the Hawthorne Websites. When personally identifiable information is requested on the Hawthorne Websites, some requests are marked as "Required"; this personally identifiable information is necessary to allow you to participate in the feature or service you've requested.
How Your Information Is Used
We use the information collected at the Hawthorne Websites for the following purposes:
- To understand your needs and preferences, to develop, market, sell or provide products and services, and possibly to conduct surveys, research and evaluations.
- To advertise our services or products.
- To complete your request for services or respond to your use of features on the Hawthorne Websites.
- To tailor your experience on the Hawthorne Websites to your interests and geographic region.
- To respond to your inquires about our products and services.
- To inform you of special events and offers or programs offered with our selected companies.
- To operate, evaluate, manage, improve and develop The Hawthorne Gardening Company's business and operations, administer accounts, collect and process payments.
- To perform data analytics.
- To detect and protect The Hawthorne Gardening Company and other third parties against error, negligence, fraud, theft and other illegal activities and to audit compliance with policies.
- As permitted by, and to comply with, any legal or regulatory requirements.
In addition, we use information collected through cookies, web beacons and other automated means for purposes such as (i) customizing our users’ visits to Hawthorne Websites and apps, (ii) delivering content (including advertising) tailored to our users’ interests and the manner in which our users browse the Hawthorne Websites, and (iii) managing our business. We may supplement data we collect on the Hawthorne Websites through automated means with information about your location (such as your zip code) to provide you with content that may be of interest to you. We also use this information to help diagnose technical and service problems, and administer the Hawthorne Websites, identify users of the Hawthorne Websites, and gather demographic information about our users.
We also may use the information we obtain about you in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We collect and maintain the personal information of our consumers for the use of The Hawthorne Gardening Company and its affiliated companies. We do not share your personally identifiable information with third parties other than as described below.
- Selected Companies: The Hawthorne Gardening Company may work with select retailers and other companies at various times to provide expanded services that relate to Hawthorne Websites or its visitors. As part of such a relationship, The Hawthorne Gardening Company may share with these companies or these companies may interact with your browser, collect or have access to some or all of the information collected in connection with certain interactive functions offered on the Hawthorne Websites (such as, the E-Mail Reminder Service) or on other web sites where The Hawthorne Gardening Company provides advertisements and interactive functions.
- Service Providers: The Hawthorne Gardening Company may use other companies and individuals to perform certain functions on our behalf. Examples include administering e-mail services, monitoring website activity and running special promotions, such as sweepstakes, contests or surveys. Such parties only have access to the personal information needed to perform these functions and may not use or store the information for any other purpose.
- Business Transfers: In the event that The Hawthorne Gardening Company sells or transfers a particular portion of its business assets, consumer information may be one of the business assets transferred as part of the transaction. If substantially all of the assets of The Hawthorne Gardening Company or a The Hawthorne Gardening Company affiliated company or brands are acquired, consumer information may be transferred as part of the acquisition.
- Compliance with Law/Safety: The Hawthorne Gardening Company may disclose specific personal information based on a good-faith belief that such disclosure is necessary to comply with or conform to the law or that such disclosure is necessary to protect the users of the Hawthorne Websites, the Website itself, or the public.
Retention of Personal Information
The Hawthorne Gardening Company may retain the information it collects on the Hawthorne Websites as long as necessary to accomplish the purpose for which the information was collected. In some cases, The Hawthorne Gardening Company is required by law to retain the information it collects for a specified period of time.
Policies on Children
To ensure compliance with federal law, The Hawthorne Gardening Company does not knowingly collect or maintain information provided by children under the age of 13.
We may use third-party web analytics services on the Hawthorne Websites, such as those of Google Analytics. These service providers help us analyze how users use the Hawthorne Websites. The information collected for this purpose (including your IP address and other information collected by automated means) will be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers. To learn about opting out of Google Analytics, please click here.
The providers of third-party apps, tools, plug-ins and widgets on the Hawthorne Websites, such as Facebook “Like” buttons, also may use automated means to collect information regarding your use of the websites and apps and your interactions with these features. This information is subject to the privacy policies or notices of these providers.
Accessing Hawthorne Websites from Outside of the United States
If you are visiting the Hawthorne Websites from a location outside of the United States, your connection will be through and to servers located in the United States. Any information you provide during your visit will be processed and maintained on our Web server and/or other internal systems located within the United States.
To access registration information that you create on the Hawthorne Websites, you will need to use a password that you create. To protect the integrity of the information contained in this record, you should not disclose or otherwise reveal your password to third parties.
Correcting and Updating Information
You can update or modify your information by contacting The Hawthorne Gardening Company as described below.
The Hawthorne Gardening Company takes your privacy seriously and values its relationship with you. We will take reasonable physical, technical and organizational measures to safeguard and secure any personal data you provide to us.
You may always discontinue your receipt of future email newsletters and/or other email communications you previously requested from The Hawthorne Gardening Company by unsubscribing in the email newsletter or contacting The Hawthorne Gardening Company as described below.
Please email us directly at [email protected]